Monday, June 23, 2008

Farewell

All of you out there who read my blog or have ever talked to me know I was never in love with my job. Worked in a basement, politics, long commute. Well, I'm finally moving on. To what exactly, I don't know. I was there for just about 4.5 years. A long time at a so-so job. But there aren't many perfect jobs out there. I liked my co-workers and a job with a decent salary and benefits is always a good thing when you have a mortgage. I'll likely stay with UW, but am not sure what department yet. I've had official interviews with one group, an unofficial invite from another, and have heard through the grapevine that my current group actually wants to keep me. I'll be working half time for a couple weeks (another doc who took me on after we had our flood) but I hope by mid-July to be at my new job. Even without the layoff, work has been such a strange place for a while. Our lab is still shut down, it's been 6 months since the (first) flood. Work is slow, folks have been antsy. Morale hit an all time low when the layoff announcements were made. Layoffs didn't actually happen for another month after that, but the dominoes have been falling. My last day was Friday, another worker is quitting this Friday, another is finished with his PhD and heads home overseas, and a few others are hoping to get out soon. The bosses have been out of town off and on for a couple weeks at conferences. I wasn't given any instruction on who would be taking over my duties.

A few of my co-workers took me out Friday night. I was hungover for most of Saturday, but at least I remember how I got home. See if you can tell who may have had too much to drink (don't worry, he got a ride home!). Thanks for a fun night out.

No comments: